Spinal Cord Injury Attorney San Antonio Texas
Each year, approximately 11,000 people fall victim to a spinal cord injury. Spinal cord injuries are the most severe and debilitating injuries a person can suffer. Spinal cord injuries not only impact the victim’s life; they also impact the lives of the victim’s family.
- Medical negligence
- Slip and falls
- Falls from heights
- Construction accidents
- Sports accidents
Spinal cord injuries can be caused by direct trauma to the spinal cord itself or indirect damage to the bones, soft tissues, and blood vessels surrounding the spinal cord. Injuries from these accidents can cause contusions (bruises); pressure on the spinal cord (compression); or completely severe the nerve fibers in the surrounding area. The most severe injuries to the spinal cord region usually result in paraplegia and quadriplegia.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries:
- Incomplete – A person with an incomplete spinal cord injury still has some physical and sensory capabilities below the level of injury.
- Complete – A person with a complete spinal cord injury loses all ability to feel and voluntarily move below the level of injury. There are two common types of complete spinal cord injury. Paraplegia is an injury to the thoracic (chest), lumbar (lower back), or sacral (pelvis) areas of the spinal cord. The victim loses physical and sensory capabilities in the lower area (waist or lower) of the body. Quadriplegia is an injury to the cervical (neck) area of the spinal cord. The victim loses physical and sensory capabilities in both the upper and lower areas of the body which extends to all four limbs.
Spinal cord injuries result in sizeable amounts of future damages which makes them different from any other personal injury. Not only will the victim have medical bills from the accident itself but the victim will have rehabilitative costs that can be lifelong. The estimated lifetime cost associated with spinal cord injuries is over 3 million dollars. The victim will not only lose his physical and sensory capabilities but he will also have a:
- lowered life expectancy - depending on the severity of the spinal cord injury
- significant loss of function – control of bladder/bowels, sexual function
- severe psychological problems – depression
The victim could also suffer damage to his autonomic nervous system that controls breathing, heart functions, and other involuntary actions.
Spinal cord injuries not only cause significant medical expenses (both past and future) but can be devastating on the victim and his family due to the loss of income; loss of basic freedoms (always needing someone to take care of basic needs); and loss of quality of life.
Because spinal cord injuries are so devastating, you and your family need an attorney who can take on the insurance companies. Insurance companies only want to pay the bare minimum and will offer an amount that may only cover current medical bills but not the future costs for the necessary rehabilitative services and care. Not only should the insurance company pay for the injuries, but the negligent person that caused the accident should also be held responsible. You may be able to bring a claim against the negligent person for your medical expenses, loss of income, loss of future earnings, and pain and suffering.
Call me today at (210) 598-8286 or contact me online so that I can review your case and begin fighting to get you the compensation and justice you need and deserve.
I serve San Antonio and surrounding areas including Boerne, Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Canyon Lake, New Braunfels and the Texas Hill Country.